Friday, May 23, 2008

A LOVE TWICE-FALLEN

Deciduous as the oak in fall
it seemed our love was so.
Each pang of thou seemed to decimate
any good thoughts left in tow.
Till passing days consumed us
as you abate each my careful deed.
Our love had gathered stale
as the foam upon the reed.
Yet has your heart ever cried out,
as the gale upon the night?
What brought us to this discord,
this hasty parting of plight.
At times it seems confusing
yet I know what my heart saw.
It was the same your heart had seen
and it wasn't the oak at all!
For the leaves__ they may have fallen
but the oak lives through the cold
and stands it's test against time
and so forth 'till it grows old.
This here was but a mishap.
A bloom emerged between cloud and sun
of several taunting days
before winter is truly done.
But as you found, my dear heart,
'tis no greener the other side__
as I'm sure you found with your new love
that bloomed just as quickly as it died.

-donna beckery
030108

1 comment:

BECKERY said...

My love for poetry dating back to the 1500's becomes somewhat evident in this recent piece. The way they spoke in Shakespeare's time was pure poetry itself. But I have to note that Robert Frost is my favorite and very first inspiration to write. After hearing "Nothing Gold Can Stay" recited by Pony-boy in "The Outsiders" I searched for everything I could find written by Frost and that's where it all began!